Coach Rob starts the week off with the second of 3 shows on specific strength training guidance for cyclists and it’s a big show! Get your notepad and pencil out.
With the combination of previous shows on periodization of strength training and today’s show on what workouts I give cyclists a cyclist could create their very own periodized strength training, plan!
- What strength is
- How cyclists benefit from resistance training
- When and how often cyclists should strength train
- 6 types of strength training to consider
- Primary muscles used while cycling
- My top workouts for cyclists
- Busting some strength training myths for cyclists
- Special concerns for cyclists
Not ready to create your own strength training program for your running training please feel free to contact me and I can build you a custom plan that fits your unique needs.
Show Note Links
- Strength training improves 5-min all-out performance following 185 min of cycling.
- Maximal strength training improves cycling economy in competitive cyclists.
- In-season strength maintenance training increases well-trained cyclists’ performance.
- Acute prior heavy strength exercise bouts improve the 20-km cycling time trial performance.
- Isometric strength training lowers the O2 cost of cycling during moderate-intensity exercise.
- Concurrent resistance and aerobic exercise stimulates both myofibrillar and mitochondrial protein synthesis in sedentary middle-aged men.