This week, we’re talking chickpeas. We’re seasoning them (with real spices and not monosodium glutamate, right corn nuts?), oiling them, lime-juicing them, and roasting them. The whole prep process takes 5 minutes. Then, just stick ’em in the oven…simple as that.
Recipe of the Week: Hot Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, thoroughly drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from one lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place all ingredient in a large bowl and toss urntil thoroughly mixed.
- Spread the chickpeas in a single, even layer on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 40-45 minutes.
- Try about 1 cup for a snack. These may also work well as a spicy, salty fuel option for long rides. Keep it to just 1/4 -1/2 cup or so at a time. They are a great source of carbs and sodium, but the extra fiber may be too much for some cyclists while riding.
Check Out Coach Kelli’s Fuel Right Blog here